Crime and Punishment (part 1)


It is a well-known fact that the traveller must be aware of the laws of his or her host country and, failing to observe said rules, must be prepared to incur the wrath of the local authorities. As such, I have refrained from drinking on the street, streaking through town, beating up members of the police force and various other things which can land one in hot water in Senegal. Sometimes, however, the smaller details of the law can escape you.

Having finished a project at work which had taken a long time and then been delayed several days by poorly-timed and incessant power cuts, we celebrated in style by buying a couple of cheap bottles of wine (which incidentally, considering they say “bottled in Dakar” on the labels and bear no indication of their origin, hence probably somewhere like Belarus or Tajikistan, are very good) and having them with cake.

Living it up, Ziguinchor style

Two of the more uncontrolled of us (namely Louise and myself) decided that this was not sufficient and wandered off to the local shop to pick up more. Unfortunately, it was half past midnight by this point and the shop was rather predictably closed but a helpful bystander pointed us up the road to a bar where we could purchase takeaway bottles. I asked for a couple of bottles, Louise sat down and ordered a beer, and so I got a beer as well. All went well for about 10 minutes, chatting with some guys at the bar on topics which I no longer remember but were surely very interesting, when a group of rather heavily armed men in uniform burst in. Quite why they needed portable rocket launchers or some such just to go around bars checking peoples’ IDs is beyond me, but the upshot of the story is that I had left my ID at home and was unceremoniously marched off to a pick-up waiting outside and was driven off to jail. Louise is always a willing soldier to help out those in trouble and took a taxi home to pick my passport up before chasing our truck to the jail. She arrived before me as we had stopped to raid every other bar in town and, by the time 17 of us lawbreakers came through the gates of Nema police station, Louise had already been carted off into a room and chatted up by friendly Gendarmes. I saw the bright lights of freedom before me as Louise gave my passport to the guy in the office but, rather than shaking my hand and sending me on my way with a smile as I had hoped, he sat down and started watching football on TV. Louise’s desperate pleas of “I’m tired, please let him out” fell on deaf ears and at 3am she was persuaded to leave the premises.

What came next was probably not the most luxurious night I’ve ever spent – 17 guys stuffed into a room about 7m² with a concrete floor and one of the world’s smelliest toilets poking its stinking tentacles into our accommodation for the night. Putting myself into an improbable foetus-like position and using my flipflops as a pillow I somehow managed to get half an hour’s sleep before a fellow jailbird accidentally sat on my head in the dark, and that was all the sleep I managed to get that night. We eventually got to morning where I had high hopes. Louise had been promised that I would be out by 8am. The Senegalese police run on African time though and the officers responsible for our cases didn’t even arrive until 9am and then began a painstaking operation to take down our details. The first guilty man went out, answered various questions about his name, address and so on and was then required to give fingerprints from all ten fingers, for a reason I didn’t manage to work out. The interviewing officer would then watch some TV, disappear for a while and then come back, watch some more TV and call someone else over. A process that should have taken 20 minutes took 4 hours and we were then all instructed to come out and sit on the floor. The officers then had a chat with each other and watched more TV, leaving us prisoners wondering if we would ever see our homes again, but then finally gave us all a lecture about carrying ID. One of the officers then sat at the desk, having a chat with people one at a time and ushering them outside. My interview consisted of a request for money and a denial that I had any on my side, a doubtful look before he impatiently waved me out. I was finally free !

A P.S. on the importance of learning your lesson. The next day, we went on a weekend trip to Bissau and were stopped at the first roadblock out of Ziguinchor. Surprise of surprises, it was manned by none other than officer Diallo, the bribe requester from the previous day. I decided to wave at him out of the window at which point he ordered everyone off the minibus.

“So !” he said. “You recognised me !”

“Yes I did sir”, I replied

He asked me where I was going and for my ID, which I proudly presented to him. He then shook my hand and assured me that if I was caught without ID again he would ensure that I don’t spend the night locked up again. In exchange for the appropriate service fee, I presume…

No comments:

Post a Comment